Wednesday, November 25, 2015

4 PV panels in series, in parallel, with 4 PV panels in series

My eighth 100 watt panel came earlier this week, but once I started taking it apart, I realized that I didn't have all the connectors I (thought I) needed.

Today the additional cables came, and a trip to the auto store for some butt connectors and I was ready to get on the roof and add the new panel. It is the same brand and model as the others (Grape Solar 100 watt). The system was wired 7 panels in series. That was giving me 156 volts now that winter is coming and my Midnite 150 goes into Hyper Voltage mode at over 150 volts.

With the addition of this 8th panel, I have wired them differently: 4 panels in series paralleled with 4 panels in series. The panels are in a row on the roof - but are intertwined so every other panel is in the same series. The end result will be half the voltage and double the amperage. It's still under 15 amps from the PV array and about 85 V.

I had to cut one of the MC4 extension cables and attach them to the 10 AWG wire that comes from the wire panel. The good thing was I was able to use the hydraulic crimper ... very nice.

Unfortunately it was finished in the dark, so I've not seen it 'work' yet. And the forecast for tomorrow is rain, and the next day, and the next after that. So, it may be a few days before I can observe how it works.

None the less, it is nice to not be over voltage and to add another 100 Watts to the system.

Only thing on my mind to upgrade still is the 2/0 cable to replace the 4 AWG.

No comments:

Post a Comment