Sunday, November 1, 2015

$3.49 status light for Solar system

My system is on and in the garage - detached from the house, but just a short walk from the back door. I've been wanting a status light for a while now so I can readily see if the inverter is not working. (This goes back to having an inverter that is not as reliable as my next one will be.)

So I recently went to Radio Shack and purchased a 120 V Neon high intensity light; I then drilled a hole through the cover on the outside of the garage where the PV leads enter the garage (which is high, under the eves). I soldered leads to the light and then added a plug. Now when the inverter is on / working, I can see the status light from the house - even in the daytime. And at night, it's very easy to see before going to bed.

It's an inexpensive nice feature. When I wire in a 120 panel I will attach it there, but for now I will run it off of a power strip from the inverter.

No comments:

Post a Comment